Have you ever heard of Tesla or Starbucks? Well, of course, you have. Starbucks and Tesla are two of the most popular and innovative brands of our time. Both have become household names, boast strong brand loyalty, and are growing quickly across the globe. But… When was the last time you saw a Tesla or Starbucks advertisement?
Not including the live demo from Elon Musk, regarding the new Tesla Cyber Truck… But when was the last time you saw a traditional commercial for Starbucks including one of their coffee drinks? Or how about an ad on YouTube promoting the new Tesla car model?
Having a hard time thinking of one? Well… That’s because these brand behemoths don’t run ads. At least not in the traditional sense… Instead, they focus on something else. And we’re going to dive in and show you what smart brands SHOULD be focusing on if they want to outgrow their competitors and stand out.
First, let’s start with key points about what makes Tesla and Starbucks great brands:
- Consistent quality: With quality that is reliable, Starbucks has built its reputation on serving high-quality coffee, and they have maintained that consistency throughout their growth.
- Exceptional customer experience: Yes, to boost revenue, all service-based companies drive quality customer service. However, Starbucks has always focused on providing an exceptional customer experience. Their baristas are trained to engage with customers and make their experience at the store memorable.
- Innovation: As a true innovation leader, Starbucks has been at the forefront, introducing new products like their mobile ordering app, and launching initiatives like their “Starbucks Reserve” stores, which offer exclusive, small-batch coffee blends. They know what it means to lead innovation.
- Innovation: Tesla has been at the forefront of electric vehicle technology. The company is continually revolutionizing the industry and making electric cars more accessible to the average consumer.
- Sustainability: Tesla’s commitment to sustainability is evident in their products, which is powered by renewable energy, as well as their factories, which are environmentally friendly as possible.
- Exceptional design: There’s no doubt you can recognize a Tesla on the road, its design is unmatched. Tesla’s cars are not only technologically advanced, but they are also beautifully designed, with sleek, modern lines and luxurious interiors.
In conclusion, Starbucks and Tesla are great brands because they prioritize customer experience, innovation, sustainability, and exceptional design. These brands have become symbols of consistent quality in their respective industries, and they have a strong following of loyal customers who appreciate their commitment to excellence.
But, why doesn’t Tesla run any ads?
- Tesla’s product speaks for itself: Tesla’s cars are not just another car on the market, but a unique and innovative product that speaks for itself. Tesla’s cars have become synonymous with luxury, performance, and sustainability, and this reputation is largely built on the quality of the product.
- Tesla’s focus on innovation: Tesla is known for its innovation, and this innovation extends to the company’s marketing strategy. Instead of relying on traditional advertising, Tesla focuses on developing new products and features that set them apart from the competition.
- Building a community: Tesla has built a loyal community of customers and fans who are passionate about the brand and its products. By focusing on word-of-mouth marketing, Tesla has been able to cultivate this community and harness its power to spread the word about the brand.
- Cost-effectiveness: Traditional advertising can be expensive, and Tesla’s decision not to run TV ads or other traditional advertising methods is a cost-effective approach. Instead, Tesla invests in product development, which they believe will drive sales and build the brand over the long term.
In conclusion, Tesla’s decision not to run TV ads or traditional advertising is a strategic choice based on its focus on product development, innovation, building a community, and cost-effectiveness. By focusing on the quality of their product and cultivating a loyal customer base, Tesla has been able to build a strong brand that stands out in a crowded market.
How does Starbucks grow without investing so much money in advertising?
- Consistent branding: Starbucks has developed a consistent brand identity that is recognizable around the world. The company’s logo, colors, and store design are all consistent, which helps customers easily identify the brand and creates a sense of familiarity.
- Customer engagement: Starbucks has always focused on creating a unique customer experience. The company trains its baristas to engage with customers and make their experience at the store memorable. This approach has helped to build a loyal customer base that is passionate about the brand.
- Social media: A high percentage of the world is currently on social media, are you? Starbucks has a strong social media presence. They utilize Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter they can connect with customers and promote products. By sharing photos of its drinks, featuring user-generated content, and running promotions on social media, Starbucks is able to reach a wider audience and build its brand.
- Partnerships and collaborations: Understanding the power in collaboration, Starbucks has partnered with a number of companies, including Spotify, Lyft, and Disney, to offer unique experiences and promotions to customers. These collaborations help to generate buzz around the brand and reach new audiences.
- Store design: Your store design means everything! Starbucks stores are designed to be inviting and comfortable, with a cozy atmosphere that encourages customers to stay and relax. This approach creates a sense of community and builds a loyal customer base.
Starbucks has developed a marketing strategy that relies on consistent branding, customer engagement, social media, collaborations, and store design to grow its brand without running many ads. By focusing on creating an exceptional customer experience and building a strong sense of community, Starbucks has been able to grow its brand and become a leader in the coffee industry.
Summary: How to build a brand like Tesla or Starbucks
- Product development. You need to OBSESS over your product or service. Providing the best possible product or service will lead to happier customers and happy customers lead to increased brand loyalty. Focus on building your “tribe” and word-of-mouth marketing, the best kind of marketing there is.
- Quality customer experience. Great, you have the best product or service. Now, it’s time to focus on ensuring you deliver that product in a way that is memorable, consistent, and world-class. Focus on your customer journey or experience from start to finish.
- Consistency. Be consistent not only in your product quality, but also in your identity, messaging, and content. But, most importantly, be consistent with your brand promise. Deliver your product or service and your customer experience day in, and day out without fail. Never fail to deliver on your brand promise to your customers or clients.
A brand is the perception that someone has of a company or product. It is the sum total of all the experiences, emotions, and associations that people have with the company. A strong brand is crucial for business growth. It helps to differentiate a company from its competitors, build trust with customers, and create a sense of familiarity.
The public perception of a company is shaped by a variety of factors: the products, marketing campaigns, customer service, reputation, and overall image. A strong brand is consistent across all of these factors, creating a clear image to consumers.
Understanding the importance of brand perception is crucial for a businesses’ success. By understanding how customers perceive the brand, businesses can identify areas where they need to improve. This includes developing strategies to build a stronger brand, and tailoring their marketing and messaging to better resonate with their target audience.
Overall, a strong brand is crucial for business growth. It can help to create a loyal customer base, differentiate a company from its competitors, and build trust and credibility with customers. By understanding how customers perceive the brand, businesses can take steps to build a strong and consistent brand image. This can help to set themselves up for long-term success and growth.