What is a “website”?…
What is a website “supposed to do”?
Which principles have we forgotten when it comes website content?…
Another term for “website” is “CMS”… I mention this point, because it explains very clearly what the DNA of a website truly is… CONTENT! Your business has a brand, you have a message, you have an audience. Your content is the collateral, the “meat and potatoes” of your message and how you communicate your value to your ideal customers and followers.
Have we forgotten how important ORIGINAL CONTENT is to our businesses? Especially with the introduction of AI, the growing demand for outsourcing, templates, copy and paste, I could go on and on and on… I have been leading an agency through the wonderful world of web design and marketing for some time now… From my own personal perspective, it seems the bar for quality content continues to lower… Forget your content and your brand will suffer… Your business will suffer.
So, let’s dive in and explore what you can do, to improve your content, share your content effectively through your website and start to improve your business brand!
“Your website has a very important goal: Manage and share content online regarding your business message, brand, offerings and value… specifically to and for your ideal customers…”
First, what does CMS stand for?
A content management system (CMS) is a software application that helps users create, manage, and modify content on a website without the need for specialized technical knowledge. CMSs typically use a web browser-based interface to allow users to create and edit pages, add images and videos, and manage other aspects of a website’s content.
CMSs are designed to separate the content from the presentation layer, enabling users to focus on creating and managing content while the system takes care of the underlying technical aspects. This separation makes it easier to update and modify the design or layout of a website without affecting the content itself.
Key features of a CMS typically include:
- Content Creation: CMSs provide intuitive editors and tools to create and format various types of content, including text, images, videos, and documents.
- Content Organization: CMSs offer features to categorize and organize content into hierarchical structures, such as pages, categories, and tags, facilitating easy navigation and search.
- User Management: CMSs enable multiple users with different roles and permissions to collaborate on content creation and management, ensuring security and control over who can access and modify content.
- Workflow Management: CMSs often include workflow functionalities that allow content to go through a review and approval process before being published, ensuring content quality and consistency.
- Version Control: CMSs track revisions and maintain a history of changes made to content, allowing users to revert to previous versions if needed.
- Publishing and Presentation: CMSs provide templates and themes that control the visual presentation of the website, allowing users to customize the design and layout without affecting the content.
- SEO and Metadata: CMSs offer features to optimize content for search engines, including the ability to add metadata, keywords, and customizable URLs, enhancing the website’s visibility in search results.
- Scalability: CMSs are designed to handle a large volume of content and accommodate future growth, making it easier to scale the website as the content and user base expand.
How to choose a CMS
There are many different CMSs available, so it’s important to choose one that is right for your needs and budget. Some factors to consider when choosing a CMS include:
- The type of website you want to create
- The size of your business
- Your technical expertise
- Your budget
Some of the most popular CMSs include:
A CMS can be a valuable tool for growing your business brand. By choosing the right CMS and creating high-quality content, you can attract new visitors, improve your search engine ranking, engage with your audience, and sell more products or services.
Your website is only as good as your content!
Keeping that definition of “CMS” in mind… Your website has a very important goal: Manage and share your content online! Therefore… Take your content seriously, consider the basics of content creation, remember your ideal customers and obsess over what THEY are searching for… What types of content would bring VALUE to them?
- Content helps you establish your brand as a thought leader. When you create content that is informative, helpful, and engaging, you position yourself as an expert in your field. This can help you attract new customers and build trust with potential clients.
- Content helps you attract new visitors to your website. When you publish high-quality content that is relevant to your target audience, you can attract search engine traffic and drive more visitors to your site. This can help you generate leads and increase sales.
- Content helps you improve your website’s search engine ranking. Search engines like Google reward websites that publish high-quality, original content. By creating content that is relevant to your target audience and optimized for search engines, you can improve your website’s ranking in search results, which can lead to more traffic and more leads.
- Content helps you engage with your audience. When you publish content that is interesting, informative, and engaging, you can build relationships with your audience and create a sense of community around your brand. This can help you attract new customers, build loyalty with existing customers, and generate positive word-of-mouth.
- Content helps you sell more products or services. When you create content that educates your audience about your products or services, you can position yourself as the expert and make it easier for them to make a purchase. You can also use content to promote special offers and discounts, which can help you generate more sales.
In short, content is an essential part of any successful website or business brand. By creating high-quality, original content that is relevant to your target audience, you can attract new visitors, improve your search engine ranking, engage with your audience, and sell more products or services.
Avoid these mistake when creating and sharing content on your website:
- Not creating content that is relevant to their target audience. Businesses often create content that they think is interesting, but they don’t take the time to consider what their target audience is interested in. This can lead to content that is ignored or even rejected by their audience.
- Not creating enough content. Businesses often think that they can get away with creating a few pieces of content and then sitting back and waiting for the results. However, in order to be successful, businesses need to create a steady stream of high-quality content.
- Not promoting their content. Even if businesses create great content, it won’t do any good if no one sees it. Businesses need to promote their content through social media, email marketing, and other channels in order to reach their target audience.
- Not measuring the results of their content marketing efforts. Businesses need to track the results of their content marketing efforts in order to see what is working and what is not. This information can be used to improve their content marketing strategy and get better results.
- Not using a content management system (CMS). A CMS can help businesses to easily create, manage, and publish content. This can save businesses time and money and help them to create better content.
By avoiding these mistakes, businesses can create content that is effective and helps them to achieve their goals.
Here are some tips for creating effective content for your website:
- Know your audience. The first step to creating effective content is to know your audience. What are their interests? What are their needs? What kind of content will they find valuable?
- Create high-quality content. Your content should be well-written, informative, and engaging. It should be something that your audience will want to read, watch, or listen to.
- Promote your content. Once you’ve created great content, you need to promote it so that people will see it. Share it on social media, email it to your subscribers, and submit it to relevant websites and directories.
- Measure your results. Track the results of your content marketing efforts so that you can see what is working and what is not. This information can be used to improve your content marketing strategy and get better results.
- Use a content management system (CMS). A CMS can help businesses to easily create, manage, and publish content. This can save businesses time and money and help them to create better content.
By following these tips, businesses can create content that is effective and helps them to achieve their goals.
Don’t get lazy when it comes to your content! Remember, your website is a tools that helps manage and share your brand message with your ideal customers online, across the globe! It’s only as good as your content… Get obsessed with your customers, their needs, pain points, desires and what would help them achieve their goals… Create and curate content that reflects that obsession for your customers…
Your website isn’t just a fancy online design that “looks cool” and has your logo in the top left hand corner… Start treating it like platform on which you serve the best possible value-driven content for your niche!
Let’s all commit to making and sharing better content together!