The creation and launch of ChatGPT, have brought on many questions and concerns. Many are wondering, what is it, and what does it mean for me?
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT launched in November 2022, and since then has amassed over 100 million users and 25 million daily visitors to the website. ChatGPT is an AI (artificial intelligence) that generates responses to questions, prompts, and commands, you name it. It can write essays, create morning routines, tell a joke, generate code, create lesson plans, etc.
Why is it so Popular?
ChatGPT has exploded in popularity because of the easy-to-interact interface that allows anyone to utilize it. Its quick reaction time has proven to be a time saver for many and when prompted or commanded correctly, ChatGPT can even minimize your workload!
ChatGPTs capabilities have opened up a world of possibilities of what we can and can’t do with it. This leads to a common question that people are trying to figure out, can ChatGPT replace my job? The answer to that question is complex. ChatGPT can do a lot of things, but can it do everything?
I decided that I would do a little experiment to test out ChatGPT. Below are two responses to the same prompt. One is written by ChatGPT and the other by me. It’s up to you to guess which is which.
The Prompt: Write a short paragraph that summarizes the purpose and mission of Big Red Jelly. https://bigredjelly.com/
Big Red Jelly is a digital marketing agency based in Utah, USA, that helps businesses achieve their marketing goals through effective strategies and creative solutions. Their mission is to help clients grow their businesses by providing customized marketing services that align with their unique needs and objectives. Big Red Jelly is committed to delivering measurable results for their clients, helping them establish a strong online presence and reach their target audience. Their team of experts works closely with clients to understand their business, identify opportunities, and develop strategies that drive results.
Big Red Jelly is a branding, web design, and web strategy agency. Big Red Jelly collaborates closely with its clients to achieve their goals and expectations through a proven process, Brand, Build, and Grow. Big Red Jelly uses powerful online tools and applied creativity to accelerate growth for businesses.
Now for the moment, you all have been waiting for…
The first response was generated by ChatGPT, and the second response was written by me, an intern.
The ChatGPT response is very accurate and well-written. It covers the purposes and goals of Big Red Jelly. A weakness of ChatGPT is that it tends to be very wordy. Unless given a word limit- it goes on and on. On the other hand, my response is more simple and more concise. It goes over the main ideas, while not being too lengthy or boring.
Pros & Cons of ChatGPT
While ChatGPT appears to be capable of writing anything, there are some pros and cons to consider before you start asking it to do everything for you!
- Available 24/7: Since ChatGPT is not a person, it can be accessed at any time you need. The basic version of ChatGPT is free and obtainable to anyone.
- Fast & Efficient: ChatGPT has the capacity to respond to most prompts in a matter of seconds. If you need something quick and last-minute, ChatGPT provides the perfect solution.
- Access to a Wide Range of Information: ChatGPT gets its data from a vast database, which means that it can answer a wide range of questions and provide information on a variety of topics.
- Lack of Empathy & Emotional Intelligence: It cannot replicate true human interaction and connection. ChatGPT doesn’t have the capabilities to empathize or have emotion, making it hard for the program to answer prompts about emotional or sensitive topics.
- Limited Context & Knowledge: ChatGPT states on its main page that it has limited knowledge past 2021. Although it draws its responses from a database with lots of information, it doesn’t have access to all the knowledge and context a human does.
- Safety & Privacy Concerns: ChatGPT is a software program that requires access to data in order to function. Users should be aware of potential risks to their personal data.
So, Can ChatGPT Do My Job?
Yes, and no. There is the potential that ChatGPT will replace jobs such as those in tech, media, legal industry, market research, etc, however, it doesn’t have the ability to mimic human emotion or physical actions, meaning there are some jobs that will never be replaced, like a doctor.
Overall the likelihood of losing your job to AI in the near future is very slim. Humans are still discovering the limitations and capabilities of ChatGPT, which means you don’t have to worry yet!
Big Red Jelly
ChatGPT may not be able to help you fully elevate your business to the next level, but Big Red Jelly can! A core value of Big Red Jelly is using human creativity combined with online tools to accelerate growth for businesses just like yours. The convenience of ChatGPT may seem enticing but it ultimately is not another human helping you and your human business. Schedule a free consultation here, and get started today on growing your business.
Written by Kate Crane